Love all to Christ, Grow all in the Word, Serve all for God.
We emphasize three core values which correspond to three key aspects of the Christian life described in the Bible.
We will share the heart of Christ, treating each person as precious to Him and building authentic Christian community.
See Romans 12:9-10
We will mature in the mind of Christ, living our lives in Him, following His will, and receiving His Power.
See Ephesians 4:11-16
We will be the hands and feet of Christ, using our time on this earth to make a difference for Him.
See John 13:14
An empowered, diverse faith family built on the foundation of God’s Word, sharing the transforming love of Jesus Christ throughout Houston and the world.
• God: the Father, the one true all powerful Creator and Sustainer of all things; Jesus Christ, fully human, fully God, who through His life, death, and resurrection offers salvation to all who put their faith in Him as Lord of their lives; and the Holy Spirit, the indwelling presence of God, equipping believers for the work of ministry and empowering them to live as disciples of Jesus Christ.
See Matthew 28:19-10
• The Bible: the divinely inspired, authoritative writings which reveal the will of God for all of creation; the supreme standard of faith, received by the community of faith as the sure guide to both a personal and communal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
See II Timothy 3:16-17
• Grace: God’s unconditional love in action, seeking to bring all people to a right relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
See Ephesians 2:8
• The Church: the Body of Christ, Jesus, present and visible in the world through the Holy Spirit in the worship, prayer, teaching, fellowship, witness, sacraments, and sacrificial service of His followers.
See I Corinthians 12:27
• The Kingdom: the present reign of God in the lives of those who follow Christ and its future fulfillment in the victorious return of Christ; when He will honor the choices we have made, either for hell or for heaven and eternal life.
See Revelation 11:15
Now to Him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever, Amen.
About the Downtown Campus
First Methodist Houston’s Downtown Campus location is in the heart of the city at 1320 Main St. @ Clay. It is easily accessed from any area of Houston. Ample free parking is provided. This historic facility, built in 1910 on the “outskirts” of Houston, contains a beautiful Sanctuary with ornate stained glass windows that are complemented by an Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ, built in Boston, which contains over 7,000 pipes. Also included in this facility is a Chapel as well as a book and gift store. The adjoining Education Building, built in 1928, is used for Sunday School classes and events.
These facilities are handicapped accessible with a wheelchair ramp located at the Clay Street entrance.
About the Westchase Campus
In the early 1990’s, church leaders made a bold move to further the gospel of Christ to more people in the city. At that time, the downtown area was struggling: families were migrating to suburban communities outside the city. The church made a creative and strategic decision to continue to have a great congregation in the center of the city but also develop an entirely new expression of First Methodist Church that would reach families in the rapidly growing western corridor of the city.
In 1993, the church purchased 27.4 acres off the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) and Westpark. Soon after, a group of pioneers, led by then Senior Pastor Dr. Bill Hinson, began meeting at Paul Revere Middle School, then later moved to the Adams Mark (now Hilton) Hotel in west Houston. The hundreds of people who gathered rallied around a vision to bring the gospel in a relevant way to the diverse, un-churched population of west Houston. From Paul Revere Middle School to the Adam’s Mark to a finished warehouse adjacent to the property to our final home in a beautiful, contemporary-styled worship center, the Westchase campus congregation continued to grow with enthusiasm and commitment to reaching west Houston.
Today the church continues to focus on its mission to bring the gospel to the diverse, un-churched population of west Houston. With upbeat, inspiring worship services, multiple groups for growing spiritually, and many avenues to serve others, the Westchase campus is becoming the spiritual home to a growing number of people. Additionally, Wesley Academy, a private Christian school through the eighth grade, and Quillian Sports and Recreation ministry, provide meaningful opportunities for First Methodist Westchase to make a positive difference for Christ in people’s lives throughout west Houston.
Wesley Academy: http://www.wesleyacademy.net/
Quillian Recreation Center: http://www.quilliancenter.org/
Neighbors in Action: http://www.neighborsinaction.com/