Director of Youth Ministries Downtown
Reports To: Director of Ministries
To provide vision, organization, and leadership for the discipleship of youth and their families, from 7-12th grade for the Downtown Campus through all outreach platforms available.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide vision and overall leadership to the youth ministries and outreaches for 7-12th grades for the downtown campus of First Methodist Houston, including youth involved in FMH’s Neighbors In Action (NIA) ministry in the Port Houston area.
- Serve as the primary discipleship and ministry contact for FMH’s downtown youth.
- Primary responsibility for FMH Sunday programming for downtown youth.
- Discern new ministry opportunities with youth/families, as the Holy Spirit leads.
- Work on a Family Ministries Team to support crossover ministry between campuses.
- Work with Downtown pastors and staff to develop new ministry opportunities and ways to incorporate FMH’s youth into the life of the church.
- Build (recruit, train/disciple) a strong volunteer team and a Youth Ministry Council.
- Lead the development of healthy online ministry and the platforms and content for the discipleship of youth and their parents.
- Provide age-appropriate discipleship ministry activities and resources (including mission opportunities) that help parents disciple their youth.
- Provide age-appropriate discipleship ministries including small groups, big events, camps and retreats, and mission opportunities for youth and when appropriate, their families.
- Select curriculum for discipleship along with stage development.
- Design ministries that support worship and discipleship of families.
- Supervise part-time administrative assistant and/or intern(s).
- Manage financial budgets for the ministry.
- Love for Christ, intent on serving Him by serving others in grace and truth.
- Demonstrate high level of personal integrity, honesty and desire for holiness.
- Commitment to personal spiritual development through prayer and spiritual disciplines.
- Personality to connect with youth and draw them in to a deeper connection to the church.
- Flexible and teachable spirit and heart to learn, seeking wisdom and new skills.
- Emotionally mature, optimistic, cheerful and not easily discouraged.
- Self-motivated and able to self-direct.
- A college bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Punctuality and professionalism in work.
- Demonstration of ability to organize and implement programs, lead people, and resolve conflicts in healthy ways.
- Heart to disciple diverse youth from 7 – 12th grades.
- Missional perspective for ministry.
- Proficient Bible knowledge and understanding of Christian doctrine in the Wesleyan/Protestant tradition.
- Track record of organizing and implementing programs and leading people.
- An understanding of child development and how-to disciple 7 – 12th graders.
- Team player.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in Youth Ministry or equivalent.
This position will include an office space at the Downtown Campus of First Methodist Houston and will involve off-sight programming in addition to commuting between the Downtown and West Campuses for meetings and ministries and mentoring FMH youth throughout the city (attending small groups, school activities).
Able to keep up with youth and the demands that entails.